Sunday, July 10, 2011

Starting "2-a-Weeks"

That's what I'm calling my new training split.  Football players, as well as athletes from some other sports, sometimes practice their craft twice a day, known as "two-a-days".  Well right now, a return to school, physical therapy, and limitations due to my shoulder have reduced my training frequency to twice per week for the forseeable future.  For the rest of July, I hope to keep train on Wednesdays and Sundays.  Once Ramadan starts on August 1 and I know whether or not I'll need surgery, I'll re-evaluate whether or not those days will work.

Here's what I did this week:

Wed. 7/6

1. Leg Press - plate loaded machine, wearing flat soled shoes & Inzer knee sleeves (no velcro)
180/10, 360/10, 540/10
630/10 - sets started getting tough here
720/5
630/6
540/10, 10, 10

2. Calf press - on the leg press machine
180/15, 15, 20

3. Bootleg GHR- done on back extension
BW/15, 15, 20

4. Incline Sit-Ups
BW/15, 15

Sun. 7/10

1a. Hack squat - wearing Inzer knee sleeves (no velcro)
sled/10, 90/10, 180/10 - flat soled shoes 
180/10 - switched to Oly shoes
270/10 - really hard.  I hate hack squats.

1b. Unilateral seated calf press
25/15 each
50/15 each, 11 each
alternating rest-pause: 75/10 left, 10 right, 5 left, 5 right

2a. Standing leg curl - obviously has to be one leg at a time :)
30/10 each; 50/15 each; 60/12 each

2b. Incline sit-up - Foot-end of the bench can be placed on any of 5 rails.  1 is lowest, 5 is highest.
3rd rail: 20
4th rail: 15
5th rail: 20

3. Abduction/Adduction machine
abductor: 90/20
adductor: 70/20

I can't believe how fast I've lost strength on the leg press.  To me, this confirms something I've long believed - squatting will make you stronger on machines than machines will make you stronger on machines.  I haven't done a barbell squat since June 16.  Last time I did leg press was June 1.  I did 855 for 11 reps on my heaviest set, and that was after doing deficit deadlifts as heavy as 515 lbs, not to mention delivering mail that day in 95 degree heat.  Now that I think about it, I better stop talking about this before I get depressed.

I don't go to PT again until Friday.  Until then, it's doing my prescribed rehab exercises at home, plus another gym trip on Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kaisheem, I spoke to a friend who had surgery for a torn labrum a couple of years ago. Here's what he said:

    - He has a powerlifting background
    - He did the PT but ended up having the surgery anyway
    - The surgery was performed by a Dr. Cod at Towson Orthopedics and said that he had a great experience, and that he knows a few other people who have also had good experiences with this doctor.
    - It took him about a year to get all of his strength back, but he's back to benching 350+ for reps.
    - He still has flexibility problems in his shoulder, so squatting is difficult for him, but he's fine for bench, deadlift, and chins.
    - He's a bit older, so he thought that a strong, younger person like yourself might see better recovery in less time.

    Best,

    David

    ReplyDelete